Yeah, crazy huh? I have only come across one other old rangefinder in the mess of plastic point-n-shoots at the thrift store’s $2 camera shelf, and it was a Sears something-or-other that looked like it got dragged behind a car for 40 miles. You can bet I jumped on this Canonet when I saw it.
I did all the testing I could without a battery in the store, and knew it needed new light seals. Everything else worked fine in it’s manual modes. When I got it home, though, a fresh battery wouldn’t kick on the light meter or make the camera work in it’s primary “auto” modes. I did a little Googlin’ and found this post, which indicated the battery terminal was the probable cause. Time to get out the screwdriver!
To get off the bottom plate, remove these two tiny screws and carefully lift off the plate. Watch out for the battery door spring, don’t let it fly off anywhere!
next, remove the screws holding the battery compartment in.
Removing the compartment showed that the main issue is that the negative battery terminal came unglued from the plastic bit and is very corroded.
The plastic bit. Once the terminal is clean, you stick the plastic bit back in, and electric-tape the terminal to the plastic part, and include a little more tape as padding. This keeps the negative terminal from shorting out against the body, and makes it hold the new 675 battery better.
Next, the light seals. I use sticky-back craft felt for seals this large.
Scrape out the old icky light seal foam and clean out the bits with alcohol.
All light-sealed up and ready for action. Light meter now works and the “auto” mode now fires correctly. Yay! (: